Sex Offender Registry
Mandatory Reporters of Child Abuse and Neglect
Wisconsin Ann. Stat. § 48.981 sets forth a list of professionals required to report suspected child abuse and neglect (including sexual abuse) to authorities. The list includes medical and mental health care providers, school employees and teachers, child care providers, social workers, and law enforcement officers.
In addition, any person, including an attorney, who has reason to suspect that a child has been abused or neglected or who has reason to believe that a child has been threatened with abuse or neglect and that abuse or neglect of the child will occur may report.
Reports must be made immediately.
Sexual Abuse and Exploitation
Wisconsin Ann. Stat. § 48.02 provides that ‘abuse’ includes any of the following:
- Sexual intercourse or sexual contact
- Sexual exploitation of a child
- Permitting, allowing, or encouraging a child to engage in prostitution
- Causing a child to view or listen to sexual activity
- The exposure of one’s genitals to a child