Sex Offender Registry
Mandatory Reporters of Child Abuse and Neglect
District of Columbia Ann. Code § 4-1321.02 sets forth a list of professionals required to report suspected child abuse and neglect (including sexual abuse) to authorities. The list includes medical and mental health care providers, school officials, teachers, athletic coaches, law enforcement officers, human trafficking counselors, and domestic violence counselors.
In addition, any other person who knows or has reason to suspect that a child is being abused or neglected may report.
Reports must be made immediately.
Sexual Abuse and Exploitation
District of Columbia Ann. Code § 16-2301 provides that ‘abused,’ when used in reference to a child, means:
- Infliction of physical or mental injury
- Sexual abuse or exploitation
- Negligent treatment or maltreatment
‘Sexual abuse’ means:
- Engaging in, or attempting to engage in, a sexual act or sexual contact with a child
- Causing or attempting to cause a child to engage in sexually explicit conduct
- Exposing the child to sexually explicit conduct
‘Sexual exploitation’ occurs when a parent, guardian, or other custodian allows a child to engage in prostitution, or engages a child or allows a child to engage in obscene or pornographic photography, filming, or other forms of illustrating or promoting sexual conduct.